2 June 2008

June Challenge

For those of you following yesterday's story, I will report weekly on what I have sorted from what remains of the "stuff" in the garage.

Having been inspired by the feeling of accomplishment from finding the garage floor, I thought I need to continue the challenge. For the whole of June I am going to try to "cook from the cupboard" - that is I will only buy things that are not processed so that I am reducing the amount of food I seem to hoard in the cupboard. The guidelines for this are -
  • Allowed to buy fresh fruit, veg, bread and meat, milk, margarine, toilet paper and tampons when current stocks run out.
  • Not allowed to buy processed or convenience foods or convenience groceries (have to buy bread as there is no chance of me making it daily or even weekly).
  • Each non-food purchase will be evaluated in terms of need versus want as well as environmental effect.
  • I can still go out, just not indulge in convenience foods. So I can go to the movies but must take my own drink with me, for example.
The biggest challenge is going to be the snacks for the kids lunch boxes - no more instant snacks, so that is going to be tricky. I will need to do a lot of baking on the weekends and even during the week to make this work.

Also not sure how I will manage for wine. Is it cheating if I ask JR to buy it?

Also addicted to pasta, so not sure if we will survive without pasta in June (we only have three packets of pasta in the cupboard) - we will see.

I will report regularly about how I am managing this. Hang on to your hats it is going to be an interesting ride.

If you click on the link in the title you will see that I have "borrowed" this idea from Taph, thanks Taph.

Cheers,
Mondo

2 comments:

AMCSviatko said...

I have a 1 kilo bag of penne pasta unopened. Perhaps we could arrange a swap?

Mondo Viagiatore said...

sure, what are you short of?