4 March 2007

Breakfast & the Govenor General's Garden Party

Today TSS and I dashed off for a bit of R&R at the open day at the GG's house. Having lived in Canberra since 1986, I thought it was about time that I could claim to have set eyes on it personally. TSS and I started by exploring the options at Yarralumla for brunch. The place we wanted to go was fully booked and we could come back for lunch!!! So then we checked out the bakery, however we really wanted breakfast, not just a croissant.

We gave up and headed for the restaurant at the Yarralumla nursery, the Oaks Brasserie, where I have been before. Here we got extremely slow service. I had the bacon and eggs and TSS the Salmon Hollandaise.

Shortly before 12 noon we headed for Government House . After a $6 donation to the Smith Family, we joined the throngs taking advantage of the fabulous weather to explore the buildings. Click here for information about the house. The Canberra Times report of the garden party is here. The Governor General also has a home at Admiralty House, in Sydney. For a full report of what we saw there you can go here. The main thing to report is that the queue's were so long, we chose not to go into the building, maybe next year.



Apart from the former butlers cottage that I adored, I was impressed by the 400 year old yellow box eucalyptus.
Photos courtesy of TSS

No comments: