13 January 2007

Typical Saturday?

Generally on a Saturday we have a slow approach to the day. We get up late and then meander through the day, JSR nearly always plays golf. This Saturday was following the usual agenda.

Agenda
  • Gardening
  • Cleaning
  • Questacon
  • Golf
Today I took the children to Questacon, with our new pass. We recieved this as a Christmas present, from the kid's Grandma, Barb.
This pass enables us to use reciprocal facilities such as the Powerhouse Museum in Sydney, as well as similar places in Newcastle and Wollongong. We get in and can use the membership lounge, with tea, coffee and milo available - we bought our lunch at the cafe and took it to the lounge, and were able to eat in peace (we were the only ones using the lounge). The kids ran all over for an hour an a half and had a great time. Thanks for the really great present.


After we came home I decided cleaning was not interesting enough and went out to attack the jungle that is our garden on the side of the house. This is our cootamundra wattle forest. Once long ago we planted this type of wattle to provide sun protection to the dining room window- and it worked. Unfortunately wattle's have a relatively short life, and it looked rangy and scruffy, so two Christmases ago we had it chopped out. The side garden looked good. Then came the babies, and more babies (seedlings?). The cootamundra wattle has been declared a noxious weed in this area for obvious reasons. I am unable to pull them out as their root system is too strong. I am cutting them at the base and then immediately spraying the cut with strong insecticide.


There is a wheel barrow under all these weeds. I have removed two wheel barrow's of rubbish and you cannot see where I have been, but the trash pack is now almost full. JSR fixed the extra long hose, so that I can water tomorrow.


A couple of weeks ago I started this whole clean up the garden thing and I started with the roses and one of our overgrown trees at the front of the property.

Here are most of the cuttings from the tree I chopped out.


Here is what the tree looks like now.






I know it will look good in the end, I have to just keep going.







JSR had a great day at golf!!

2 comments:

Louise Burford said...

Hi Alison,

I remember the gardening days. (sigh). We had great fun doing up our backyard, but it looks like you have your work cut out for you on this project. Good luck with it. :) I agree, gardening is sooo more appealing than cleaning.

What a great Christmas idea! One for the whole family to enjoy. :)

Louise :)

Jen said...

The difference in the tree is amazing :)

We just need C to get her family a Questacon family pass too - then We're home and hosed for Wednesday arvo's! -- or whenever!