14 July 2008

Day 55

You will be pleased to know that on day 55 of the Global Corporate Challenge I am now in Ireland. This is exciting for me as I have not been to Ireland since I was about 9. Currently we are in Ballinasloe in County Galway, located on the river Suck! The river Suck runs for nearly 80 kilometres and is the main tributary for the Shannon River.
The Ballinasloe Fair is one of the oldest horse fairs in Europe; bathed in history it dates back to the 1700's. Today the ever popular fair is still held, along with a festival that attracts up to 100,000 visitors from all over the world. The town also boasts a successful summer festival called An tSĂșca Fiain.

POPULATION: 6,614

LOCAL DISHES
Colcannon is a food made from mashed potatoes, kale or cabbage, butter, salt, and pepper. I can tell you that I have made this dish and I was not impressed with it - not sure if it is because I am not a big fan of cabbage or if it is that there are no onions and garlic.

WEATHER: is cloudy and 17 - perfect for walking. Monday I managed 10,094 steps. While this is low I am pleased with it as I was in a car or travelling for 4 hours.

No comments: