20 April 2008

Melbourne National NRM Conference

Last week I was off again to the wilds of NRM, this time in Melbourne. The conference was hard work and was very successful from our point of view. The best thing about it for me was the fact that it was held at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG), and even though I am no sport fan, I did feel in awe of the place. If I get a chance to visist the MCG and do a tour I will.

Here is the view leaning from my fly screenless hotel window (yes a hotel window that opens, what luxury), straight to the MCG.



The hallowed grounds (note that they steam clean the seats)


In memory of the first football game played on this ground in August 1858.


There was a lot of memorabilia from the 1956 Olympics.





Shirley Strickland and Betty Cuthbert from the 1956 Olympics


One of JSR's hero's - Dennis Lillee
Walking back and forth from the hotel to the MCG, we saw lots of offices connected to cricket in the back streets. At the MCG there were tours for the public every day. We had the conference dinner at the MCG dining room, which was a great venue. The after dinner speaker Sir Murray Rivers (aka Brian Dawe), was very entertaining and not at all recognizable to me.

No comments: