2 May 2007

Update on large shopping centres

My ears pricked up the other day when I heard on the radio about a large shopping centre in Kent, UK and I thought about my earlier post. I have not heard of the Bluewater shopping centre. So I thought I would investigate. Despite the fact that it has 330 shops, the same as the Metrocentre in Gateshead, the Metrocentre is still the largest shopping centre in the UK.

I am therefore even more impressed that Miranda Fair has 631 stores, while everything is bigger and better (and colder) in Canada and West Edmonton Mall has over 800 stores.

Just to confuse me I have just found the Aussie "big 8" and their size is based on square metres not number of stores!!!
THE BIG EIGHT

* Knox, Victoria: 142,244 square metres
* Westfield Fountain Gate, Vic: 138,163
* Chadstone, Vic: 137,076
* Westfield Marion, SA: 132,553
* Westfield Southland, Vic: 128,028
* Warringah Mall: 127,177
* Westfield Bondi Junction: 126,779
* Westfield Parramatta: 126,754

Then there is the proposed extended shopping centre in Castle Hill, NSW which is predicted to be 170,000 square meters of shopping joy. For more information click here.

Enjoy your shopping experiences where ever you may have them,

Mondo

1 comment:

AMCSviatko said...

Isn't Bluewater a factory outlet mall? And didn't they ban hoodies (a reason I could never go there!)